EuroPython is organized and run by volunteers from the Python community, but we're only a few and need your help to make the show run as smoothly as possible, so we'd appreciate more help from the EuroPython attendees, if possible.
This page explains some of the tasks we have available for you.
Be a volunteer means to give your time for free, without expect anything back, just for the pleasure of being a part of this amazing conference.
In return, we will have a small number of perks for you, some small gifts to say "thank you" for your time and for your help.
Things to remember
- To enter the conference you need a ticket
- You can fill the volunteer registration form before you have bought a ticket
- You will not earn a ticket for being a volunteer
- If you have any kind of budget problem you can apply for the financial aid
How to sign up
Perks for Sunday volunteers
- Mention on the website
- Free pizza :-)
Perks for volunteers
- Get an awesome EuroPython Volunteer T-Shirt that you can keep and show off to your friends and a mention on the website :-) (1 slot activity)
- Limited pins ! (2 slot activities)
- Free ticket for a museum and a special group photo with all volunteers (5 slot activities)
- Cider House Night with the other volunteers (7 slot activities)
- Each perks is related to the concept of slot, we will publish more information before the conference.
These are the shifts for talk and room managers and the guidelines for these tasks.
Summary of tasks
- Answer lots of questions
- Handle financial aid and speaker refunds (via check)
- Help with partner program, social event tickets, workshops, etc.
- Help with print outs, lost items, calls, etc.
- Good English skills are mandatory
- This job involves a lot of talking and smiling (or nerves of steel)
- Hand out registration badges
- Check student IDs
- Register On-Desk tickets and day passes
- Answer general questions
- This job involves a lot of talking
T-Shirt and Swag Bag Desk
- Hand out the confernce bags and t-shirts
- This job involves standing and lifting light items
- Help speakers in preparing their notebooks for the talks
- Introduce the speakers to the audience
- Signal time left to the speakers
- Make sure talks are finished on time
- Moderate Q&A session and help with passing around microphones
- This job involves speaking in front of people and moderation
- Only visitors with a valid badge are allowed at the conference
- Watch the entrance and be kind to strangers
- This job involves standing and answering some questions
Set Up/Tear Down
- Helping hands are needed to set up the stage before the conference starts (Sunday afternoon before the conference and Monday morning)
- Also on the last day (Friday afternoon for the main conference, Sunday for the sprints) to clear up the venue afterwards.
- This job involves walking and carry items
- There are always some tasks which we simply cannot plan beforehand:
- moving chairs, tables, or poster walls,
- guiding groups between the two venues,
- arranging transfers between venue and airport, etc.
- Please leave your contact details with the support work group, so that we can contact you in case necessary.
Why be a EuroPython Volunteer ?
- To help the EuroPython organizers keep the conference affordable for everyone
- Show your EuroPython support to the Python community (by wearing your exclusive T-Shirt)
- Get a huge applause during the closing session of the conference
- Save on accommodation by getting access to student house rooms at reduced rates
- Refinance your conference ticket
How much work is involved ?
- There are different tasks with different time required
- Each task is related with the concept of slot
- You can sign up to any number of them.
- Assignment is done at the kick off meetings (see below)
What kind of qualifications do I need ?
- You should be able to speak some English and perhaps also some Spanish.
- If you speak additional languages, even better. Please let us know.
- Have time between two talks ? Then why not spend it as EuroPython Volunteer ?
Kick off meetings
- There will be volunteer kick off meetings on 17/07/2016 at the conference. There we introduce you to the team, to the venue and to the different tasks. You will be able to pick your slots at these meetings (first come, first served)
- Every day (from 18/07/2016) around 8.40 there will be a morning brief with volunteers at the registration desk
- Don't worry, if needed, one of the organizers will always be around to help
- Please contact our firstname.lastname@example.org for any other information you may need.